Sunday 19 January 2014

Reflection, evaluation and ambition

Everyone of us have aspirations, dreams and goals. Whether is it to land ourselves with a $50k a month job, striking Toto, graduating top in class, buying every single Hermes Birkin released for sale, it is still an aspiration, a dream and a goal.

Are these examples too far fetched? Hmmm... there are people earning $50k a month, in fact lots of people. There are people striking Toto, there are people snapping up a Hermes Birkin in every colour and animal skin released... it has been done, so is it far fetched? Is it just a dream, something unreachable? Or is it a goal, something that we can work towards to?

We have been drilled from young, "study hard so that you can get a degree and get a high paying job." Sounds familiar?

We have been trained to look for the end result, the goal, the dream... that is to get a high paying job. How much is high paying? We are trained to be employees, to be someone's "slaves".

It took a lot of me to give up the life of an employee, to become self-employed. It wasn't easy just grappling within my own mind, what more the harsh and difficult business world out there is like a lion waiting to devour every feeble prey. The first step, is the most important, and the most difficult.

I must say, I've taken many steps into that world. Some big steps, some small steps, some steps going around in circles, some steps on a 60-degree upslope angle, some a nice gradient downhill, some steps leading to beautiful sceneries, and some steps leading to a high cliff. But no matter good or bad, the journey has enriched my life experiences.

Now that I have committed myself to the Happy Life Project (HLP), it has further challenged my boundaries and experiences. Had a most interesting training on Tuesday with SL. Of course what I received is applicable not just to my line of work, but to anybody for that matter.

Let me share with you what I got from her:

Firstly, I was asked to define specifically what my dreams and goals are. It can be anything, eg a penthouse in Orchard Road, flying 1st class to Europe for holidays 4 times a year, setting up a trust fund for your loved one, etc.

Secondly, I need to find out WHY I want to achieve these dreams and goals. I can only find the answer within myself. Is it for a better retirement, for my family or loved ones, for the betterment of society, etc???

Now, that is to solidify my dreams and goals. After this, I need to ask myself 3 powerful questions in relation to the set dreams and goals:
1) Why must I succeed?
2) If I don't succeed, why can I accept failure to achieve these dreams that I have penned? i.e. is there a back door (that leads to a less than ideal result) that I can run to when I don't succeed?
3) What are the consequences if I fail to achieve these dreams and goals?

Personally, I find these 3 questions quite "disturbing". I keep asking and thinking to myself,
- Is it ok if I don't materialize my dreams and goals?
- If yes, why is it ok? 

- Have I become so apathetic that anything is ok, whatever will be, will be?
- Is it because if HLP doesn't work, I can always do something else?

- What will happen if my dreams and goals don't materialize?

Many of us live just for the present. I may say that I plan for my future, but when the road gets tough, I do let the present and past affect negatively my vision of the future. I falter, I give up, I look for an easier alternative, I delay making decisions, I make excuses, etc, etc, etc. I just don't look towards the finishing line. I don't see the future consequences of failing which is why I accept present and past failures. For eg, if I fail to save $1000/month all these while towards my retirement, my past and present failure is that I only see the current pressing need of meeting expenses. I failed to see the grave consequence that I may have to pick discarded cardboard boxes when I am 65.

Thus, I learnt there and then that past and present failures don't matter, but that future consequence is everything, and it has to be the force that drives me to my aspirations, dreams and goals. I have set my dreams and goals, and if it is not materialized, there is a very REAL consequence.

So, my friends, is what you are doing right now going to help you achieve your aspirations, dreams and goals? What are the consequences if you can't achieve it? Have you given it much thought? We are not young anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment